Sometimes in our own little world we create the illusion that our problems are exclusive. This blog post from Staffing Advisors written by Bob Corlett made me realize that all hiring managers experience the same frustrations, disappointments and difficulties no matter where they are located. Bob is writing from Washington, D.C. I’ve included his blog but interspersed with our own comments.
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards got it right. You can’t always get what you want. Especially in hiring. Especially now.
Right now (in the DC job market) candidates are gaining the upper hand. Want proof? Look at the number of top performers who left your firm for another job. Next look at the number of candidates you want to hire who have multiple competing job offers – that’s the best way to measure who has the upper hand in your industry.
So if you are like most DC employers, here is what you can expect with this market shift:
- Your perfect candidates will turn down your job offer to take some other job more often than you’d prefer.
- More first round candidates will surprise you and decide not to proceed into the second round interviews.
- Your new hires might even call you before their start date and tell you they accepted a counteroffer from their current employer.
What to do about it? Like most business risks, you can “buy insurance.”
~Now here’s where your local experts come in .. you hire someone to manage your response to your job postings. This service is called MANAGED RESPONSE and this is what CHAMPION can do for you.
- You buy insurance when you start with a big candidate pool of 6 or more people.
~Like Bob in D.C., CHAMPION also recommends narrowing it down to the top six canidates but you are free to determine the number you wish us to whittle towards. But keep in mind the larger the pool, the longer it will take for you to make your decision. Time is your competitor when it somes to quality, top performers.
- You buy insurance when you keep the interview process moving quickly for all the candidates and don’t prematurely lock in on just one person.
- You buy insurance when you think long and hard about making a really competitive offer to the person you want.
~We will advise you as whether or not your offer is indeed competitive. Our 46 years of expertise in all aspects of the hiring sector is yours whenever you need it. We’re not afraid to collaborate with you. Our goals are the same – to find that near perfect match.
- You buy insurance when you stay in touch between making the job offer and when the new hire starts.
~Champion does that for you. You needn’t worry. You have other tasks at hand, let us handle the communication.
- You buy insurance when you make sure they feel welcomed during their first few weeks.
No, you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need .. but just in case, buy insurance.
~Call Champion in North East Ohio for all your employment needs.
You just might find .. we are what you need!
Managed Response 216-823-5900.